There is a lot of variety in Tomato chutneys. The recipe is usually different between families, regions, etc. Once I had tasted tomato chutney with garlic flavour in a restaurant and I liked it very much. This recipe is my attempt to recreate that taste. It was a success !! I love this chutney with Idli and also as a Dosa spread.
- Chopped tomato – one and half cup
- Chopped onion – four tbsp
- Garlic – three
- Dried red chilli / endu merapakayalu – three
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – one tsp and for tempering
- Jeera / cumin seeds – one tsp
- Mustard seeds / avalu – half tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil – one tsp
In a hot pan, add all the ingredients and fry until tomatoes are cooked. Let the mixture cool down. Then make a fine paste in a mixer. Ready to serve with dosa, idli, uttapam etc.
15 to 20 mins