Besan laddo is one of the common sweets during festivities. The aroma of besan ladoo is wonderful. If the besan is fried perfectly then the ladoo will just melt in mouth. Yummy! I learnt this recipe from Mom.
Some of these sweets are pretty rich in calories so I usually make few of them so that they are consumed quickly.
- Besan / senaga pindi / chickpea flour – half cup (sift to remove lumps)
- Ghee – less than one-fourth cup (almost 8 tsp)
- Powder sugar – half cup ( I added little less than half cup)
- Cardamom powder / elakulu – a pinch
- Ghee roasted cashews – few
In a wide pan, melt ghee and add besan. Stir fry over low to medium heat. Keep stirring until you get paste like consistency and besan turns light brown in color.
It took 25 mins for besan to get cooked and get a pasty look. Turn off heat and leave the mixture to cool completely. Add sugar and cardamom powder. Mix / rub with your hands until well mixed.
Shape the mixture into a tight round (ladoo shape). Decorate with cashews. Ready to serve…
Serves two to three (six ladoos)
Store in air tight container. Stays up to one week.