Burger is one of the common favorites. It can be made with lentils, sweet potato, quinoa and other such vegetables that can be mashed. To create delicious burgers one should choose the right combination of pulses, vegetables and masala.
For this recipe, I chose some easily available ingredients. I had some boiled black-eyed beans and had heard about using them in burgers so I added them to the recipe. I wanted to make burger crispy but avoid deep fry so I used a little corn flour apart from bread crumbs while rolling the patty. It really made a difference in crispness of the burger. I used oats powder for binding instead of all-purpose flour (maida). You can add the usual burger dressing like lettuce, onion slices etc. Hope you enjoy.
- Boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes – one and one-fourth cup
- Boiled carrots – one-fourth cup
- Boiled green beans – one-fourth cup
- Boiled corn – one-fourth cup
- Boiled black eye beans – one-fourth cup
- Finely chopped onions – one-fourth cup
- Finely chopped capsicum – one-fourth cup
- Salt – to taste
- Red chilli powder – less than half tsp
- Chat masala – half tsp
- Jeera powder – half tsp
- Tandoori masala – one-fourth tsp
- Oats powder – as required
- Corn flour – four tblsp
- Bread crumbs – half cup
- Olive oil – to shallow fry
- Burger buns
Ingredients to make garlic chutney
- Mint leaves – one cup
- coriander leaves – one cup
- Garlic – three
- Roasted jeera powder – half tsp
- Green chilli – to taste
- Chat masala – one-fourth tsp
- Lemon juice – one tsp
- Salt – to taste.
Grind all the above chutney ingredients by adding little water.
Procedure to make burger patty
In a bowl, add all vegetables, mash them with fork. Add jeera, chaat masala, tandoori masala, salt, onions and capsicum. Stir all the masala in the mashed vegetables. Add and stir enough oats powder, two tblsp corn flour, bread crumbs so the mixture holds together.Shape the mixture into patties.
In a small bowl, mix the remaining bread crumbs and corn flour. Roll the patties in this mixture.
Grease the skillet with olive oil, toast the patties on both sides until they are golden brown on medium flame. Toast the buns.
Apply garlic chutney on the buns and place the patty in between. Enjoy ..
Serves two to three